Skip To Main Content

Permits and Transfers

Intradistrict Attendance Permits

Students may request to attend a school other than their neighborhood school through PUSD’s Open Enrollment process. For more information, please visit the Open Enrollment website.

Interdistrict Attendance Permits

Students may request to enroll in Pasadena Unified School District or exit to enroll in a different school district in accordance with PUSD Board Policy 5117, which reflects the current Education Code.

Requests are evaluated on an individual basis, in accordance with the PUSD Board Policy.

Applications for the 2013-2014 school year will be available at the Welcome Center - Office of Permits & Records beginning Monday, May, 6, 2013. Interdistrict permits must be renewed annually whenever there is an interdistrict attendance agreement between the PUSD and another district that requires this and/or the student changes school. The District anticipates openings for non-PUSD-residents at some schools and in some signature programs. The deadline to submit an application to exit is Friday, June 14, 2013. 
If you have questions or need more information, please contact Student Support Programs-Office of Permits at the Welcome Center: 396-3600, ext. 88340. 

Read the PUSD’s Administrative Regulations.

See the PUSD's Interdistrict Permit Process.


NCLB School Choice

Choice option for Program Improvement (PI) allows parents, whose children are enrolled in a Title I Program Improvement school, to transfer their children to a non-PI school with district paid transportation.

A letter is sent home informing families of a school's PI status.

Additionally, a parent/community meeting is held to provide detailed information.

After receiving each year's California Standards Test (CST) results each summer, the Pasadena Unified School District sends a letter to families of PI schools and schedules a parent meeting. For more information, please visit the Student Support Programs page or call 626-396-3600, x88470.